As far as I am concerned, the evolution of a webpage goes something like this:
- ?I need someone to fill the blank spaces with writing?
- ?Copy it from our brochure?.
- ?We?ve got spelling mistakes on our webpage. We can?t have that!?
- ?Our web page ought to express our company?s personality. Get the CEO to speak?.
- ?We need to create a community so that the users can fill in the blank spaces and save us the effort?.
- ?We can add value-related content by buying articles from a content company which knows nothing about our business or users?.
- ?Hire a journalist to maintain the website. It is Marketing?s responsibility and shouldn?t require resources?.
- ?Our web page ought to express our company?s personality. Get Marketing to speak?.
- ?What kind of content will help us sell more? What words should we be using? Talk to Marketing?.
- ?We need to reach the heart of the user, to get him/her to act on our webpage. Talk to Copy?.
Text has three functions: orientar, informar y persuadir [to guide, inform and persuade]. All three are necessary. The third one, persuasion, is still almost unknown.